i have the best dad in the world. not only does he employ me, he provides us kids of his with a freezer full of meat for the year from 4 – h animals he buys at the auction and the beef he raises in the backyard. it is some seriously good meat.
i now have a freezer FULL of bacon. seriously. bacon for days. almost 25 packs of bacon. and it’s that good thick cut stuff. fan-tas-tic.
so i’ve been making recipes that hmmmmm could i add bacon to this? what if i made this vegetarian dish…but added bacon!?
one things i start doing in october is planning food for november and december holidays. the holidays are some of my favorite favorite FAVORITE times to cook. and since i have so much bacon i thought…. why not see if there is a few recipes for the holidays i could sneak some bacon in.
the other night i experimented with a butternut squash gratin. it was onion, squash, garlic, bread crumbs, parmesan… and bacon. it was delicious delicious delicious. i also made a mashed potato recipe that needs a little tweaking but it was yukon gold potatoes, mascarpone cheese and two egg yolks. i know it sounds weird but a restaurant i went to in vegas dumped raw egg yolks into their mashed potatoes and it gave the most creamy delicious texture. it was… heavenly. i just have to get the seasoning right on those taters because it was like 85% there. (oh and i added bacon to those).
i have been saving tons of recipes on my pinterest page for including bacon into my holiday recipes.
i will say though before we have a day of holiday parties one of my favorite things to do is have a nice breakfast with joey because we sometimes do not eat until 1 – 2pm.
i thought instead of making my usual quiche recipes i would take a stab at breakfast pizza. we have a ton of eggs right now courtesy of our chickens (it’s about time) so i thought meh lets try something different.
pizza crust (i used frozen dough. i know i know)
6 eggs scrambled
bacon (as much as you want)
salt n peppa
6 oz cheese shredded ( i used swiss)
about a cup of milk ( i used unsweetened almond milk)
- cook up your bacon and set aside.
- scramble up your eggs and set aside (i scrambled mine in a big of bacon grease… don’t judge) don’t cook them all the way you want them a little runny because they are going to cook in the oven a little longer.
- melt about 4 tbsp butter in the pan then stir in flour, let brown for about 30 seconds
- whisk in about a cup of UNSWEETENED almond milk (or regular milk). here is where you ad lib a bit. you want the sauce to be spreadable but not paste like so pending how it cooks up you are going to want to add more flour (to thicken) or more milk (to liquify) add a handful of your cheese to the sauce and some salt and peppa
- spread out your rust and spread white sauce top with bacon, eggs and remaining cheese.
- cook according to your pizza crust recipe.