earlier this season i cleaned out my closet and got rid of everything that was damaged/torn or didn’t fit. i donated, consigned and cleaned out what just didn’t work for me anymore and tried to focus on what i needed and could be worn with multiple outfits and occasions. i have been striking gold lately with the quality and fit of j.crew this season. i was on a bit of a cold streak the past year or so but they are hitting it out of the park this season with their holiday collection. i have found several cardigans and other layering pieces that work awesome for work or casual. the sparkle knits are the perfect amount of shimmer and are not itchy because the shimmer is only on the outside. i have been ordering multiple sizes and keeping the ones that fit best (duh) because there is some size fluidity here.
here are some of my favorite pieces that i’ve kept from current orders. ps the entire site is 50% off today and tomorrow including sale items! now is the time to stock up!
- the perfect winter boots – i loved these i truly did. and i took my normal shoe size 9. but in the spirit of trying to only keep what i need, i returned because i felt these sorel boots i had were too similar (also 40% off today). i have a feeling though i’m going to be regretting returning but … i’m a responsible (mostly) steward of my funds.
- wrap tie jumpsuit – i have this in red and mustard. guys. it’s the perfect jumpsuit. i’m a shorter gal and sometimes i get permanent wedgies from jumpsuits. this one is so comfy and has a bit of stretch to the material. if you buy it and it’s just a little snug it will give maybe a half inch. my size 8 fit just a little snug in the bum and within an hour it was perfect.
- pop corn cable knit sweater – this is the perfect shade of holiday red. i’ve worn it over flannels, with skirts and of course jeans. it’s cozy and warm and it washes well (no pilling). i laid it flat to dry and it looks brand new and this is my go to throw on sweater so it gets it’s fair share of wear. i took a medium.
- metallic knit turtleneck sweater – i bought this in a size medium in both the gold and the navy. i’m seriously considering going back for the silver. i like to layer it with sweaters for kind of a 90’s vibe. the metallic is in the fabric so it’s not itchy at all. and the shimmer is super festive.
- the daphne coat – i have this jacket in the green tweed and the red boiled wool. i bought the tweed last year and they brought it back for 2018. i purchased the red this fall. i took an 8 in both styles. i love that it’s more of a feminine tuxedo fit but still very warm. i did find that the boiled wool version ran a bit bigger (probably because the tweed is a bit stiffer material). but still was happy with the size 8. view it here
- the long double knit cardigan sweater – i am guilty. i purchased this in all three colors. this cardigan has the same material as the turtleneck so it’s super comfy. it comes about thigh length and instantly adds a little something extra to each outfit.
i could go on and on about what i bought and returned but i only kept the pieces that i knew i would be able to wear over and over. overall i found that the collection is running true to size with the exception of the velvet (runs super small) and the cardigan (runs a size big).
ok so now on to shoes…. i am learning i’m a bit of a shoe hoarder. the sparklier or interesting the better. after i had otto i swear my feet changed and i’m hearing from a lot of friends that this is a common thing after having a baby. so many of my shoes fit tight and i can’t handle all day having my feet in little leather prisons. (i know, a bit dramatic). rather than watch the shoes collect dust i parted with the ones that didn’t fit anymore. sadly, most of them were my boots. so naturally once the black friday sale hit i restocked my closet if you will? also this week only there is 20% off all sale styles which is … all of these.
- elodie mule – this might be a bit extreme…. but i had to have it. guys the jewels the feathers… it’s amazing. i waited until it was on clearance so it’s not a major splurge/impractical purchase. i just thought these would be super fun to wear with jeans and a big sweater for a bit of dramatic flair. i was in between sizes on these but i stuck with the 9 rather than a 9.5 because i want slip on’s to fit a bit snugger so i don’t fall on my face.
- clara mule – i kept the 9 in these. i have been wearing them with everything from jeans to dresses. the bow has wire in it so it holds its shape. the heel is a perfect height as well.
- elizabeth pump – i bought these a few months ago because i had a pair of gold reva flats that finally had to go bye bye. they back was completely worn through but they had a good 3 years of wear. i ended up sizing up in these to the 9.5. they were a bit big and i could have done the 9 but i wanted to wear thicker tights with them and the 9.5 worked perfect for that.
- josephine pump – i had a gift card for tory burch for my birthday and these were my “birthday shoe” however the first wear i noticed a few rhinestones were missing. tory burch exchanged them for me no questions asked and the new pair is perfect. they have this giant rhinestone bow on the back that provides the perfect amount of sparkle. i wore them with a plaid holiday skirt and turtleneck to the helen devos childrens hospital fundraiser.
- clara flat- it’s so funny because the clara mule fits completely different than the flat. i ended up having to size up to a 9.5 in these shoes. my friend ashley who is typically a size 8.5 even thought the 9’s were snug so word to the wise you might want to order an entire size up or at least a half size.
- brooke bootie – i had this great pair of boots from a company that is no longer in business that i wore alllll the time in previous seasons. unfortunately those were the ones that really didn’t fit anymore that were the hardest to part with because they went with everything! i found these though were almost as good of a substitute for those. the heel is a tad higher than i normally would wear but the foot bed is incredibly comfortable.
- brooke ankle bootie – i almost returned these… almost. they do make my foot look a little larger but they were sooooo comfrotable and look really cute with jeans. i tried both the 9 and the 9.5 and the 9 was just a bit snug but the 9.5 was too big and clunky. i stuck with the 9 and wore them around the house and they relaxed a bit and now fit perfectly.