you guys…. rarely rarely do i crave brownies. but i had a little bit of left over milk i and i was craving either chocolate chip cookies or a brownie to go with it. since i had no oreos and no chocolate chips i luckily had enough ingredients to make these brownies. and let me tell you… they just might be the best brownies i’ve ever had. they are gooey on the inside and crispy around the edges. the frosting is optional but lets not kid ourselves. it’s frosting and if you are baking brownies you might as well go big or go home. the other thing i liked about this recipe is that it didn’t make a heaping pan. it made a small 8×8 pan of brownies which lasted joe and i week each having just a small square each night.
i found this recipe on pinterest but it took me to i am baker and i’m glad i focused on the brownie because that site is packed full of tasty treats! the key to this recipe is the temperature of your ingredients. make sure the the melted butter isn’t steaming hot. when you are making the frosting make sure it’s room temperature. i like to be able to leave a finger indent into the butter.
to make the brownies:
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter melted then cooled (so important!)
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla.
1. stir all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. mix the eggs with the vanilla and mix into the dry ingredients
3. stir in the melted butter. i just used a rubber spatula until everything was incorporated. the batter will be pretty thick.
4. spread into a greased 8inch square pan and bake 22 minutes at 350 degrees.
while that is going on make some frosting. (ps. i’m using this frosting recipe for chocolate cakes now)
3 tbsp butter softened
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
2 tbsp whole milk
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup confectioners sugar
1. you can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer. since this was a small batch and i just used the hand mixer. whisk the butter, cocoa, honey, vanilla and sugar.
2. slowly let the ingredients combine until just mixed (don’t overbeat!)
3. slowly add milk in 1 tbsp at a time. i only needed 2 tbsp but depending on how creamy you like your frosting give or take a tbsp.
once the brownies have cooled spread on the frosting, pour yourself a huge glass of milk and enjoy.