Yesterday I was going crazy and had to do something to occupy Otto other than sit him in front of Peppa Pig while I answered more and more emails. It had been a zoom call/stare at your inbox kind of day and with the cold weather this week (and snow) we are all feeling cooped up and restless. I knew it was going to make an epic mess but meh cleaning it up would give me something to do. Plus he’s been asking for muffins ever since he saw daddy pig eating them (peppa’s dad) and I figured why not.
We busted out our baking supplies and made a batch of my favorite blueberry muffins from some blueberries in my fridge that were not being eaten fast enough for breakfast. The surest way to get fruit to disappear around here is to envelope it in a carb. We had a great time and Otto was actually interested in helping. He loved to stir the ingredients and line the muffin tin with the papers. When it came time to spray the nonstick he was all about that (with assistance of course).
This got me thinking of Mother’s Day 2020 and how we will all be likely spending it at our homes. I racked my brain for a bunch of fun things we could do with or virtually for our Mom’s on Mother’s Day. I am starting to realize that the little things, even taking a drive around the neighborhood means so much right now and can help break up the day. Here are a few ideas I came up with to celebrate.
Mother’s Day may be spent apart from your mom or mother figures but that doesn’t mean we still can’t find creative ways to celebrate! Just because we are social distancing doesn’t mean we have to emotional distance. I found some fun and creative ways to make the mother’s (or wives) in your life feel special on Mother’s Day.
- Have a virtual dinner! I have been using Zoom to connect with my friends and Terrain is offering custom mothers day Zoom backgrounds! It is a fun way to interact (without the “facetime face”) and make it feel like you are out for a fancy brunch.
- Order Flowers. There are so many places that offer unique or subscription based flowers. A few of my favorites are The Bouqs (click for 30% off coupon) , Farmgirl Flowers and Urban Stems. Or find a local grower here.
- Get her a pedicure..at home. In Michigan all non essential businesses are closed and that includes nail salons. I have been loving the sock masks from target to get me by until everything is open again.
- Go on a picnic – If the weather is fair pack everything up and go outside and get some fresh air. Even if it’s a picnic in the back yard. It’s something different!
- Plan 2021 – Since this year is up in the air in terms of what will be opening when, plan 21 things to do in 2021 together. Plan a future trip to the farmers market, massage, walk on the beach. A calendar of fun events will be something to look forward to.
- Send her a magazine subscription. There are so many good ones out there! I just ordered a few from amazon at $5 for the year! A quiet spot and a magazine are the best therapy.
- Have a virtual baking morning. Here we are with that zoom thing again but it is easy to use and nice to be hands free. Make some muffins with your mama in your own homes.
- Make her dinner! No rules (yet) against making her favorite meal and leaving it on her porch.
- Draw her a message and picture with sidewalk chalk to let her know how much you love her.
- Bring her her favorite Take out! I have been loving the Toast app to order from my favorite restaurants and they leave it curbside for you to pick up.
Things are different this year but there are so many ways to make your mama feel special. What are some ways that you are virtually celebrating?
ps. See my 2019 mothers day gift guide here. A lot of these things are still my favorite!
pps. Check out my Motherhood pinterest board for more Mothers Day ideas!